Search and Social Media Industry Study: Top 10 DIY Stores
The share of online sale will quintuple in 2030 and become the primary sales channel. Especially through a comprehensive and informative product presentation in the web DIY stores are more likely to reach their potential customers and are able to create a holistic purchase experience by connecting online to offline.
The digitalization of recent years has shown that in store sales for DIY companies tend to decline and customers are increasingly looking for products, informations and solutions online. In order to succeed long term, hardware stores have to adapt to this change in consumer behaviour.
Search Engines like Google play a central role: a website displaying more relevant keywords in the search results can attract more visitors and potential customers. Especially in the construction industry it offers high potential. The German Trade association of Home, Construction and Garden (BHB) predicts that the share of online sale will quintuple in 2030 and become the primary sales channel. Especially through a comprehensive and informative product presentation in the web DIY stores are more likely to reach their potential customers and are able to create a holistic purchase experience by connecting online to offline.
As a digital business consultancy eviom has taken a close look at the web presence of the top 10 DIY stores in German-speaking areas and analyzed their performance in the following three categories: Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Advertising (SEA) and Social Media.
Within the scope of the Search and Social Media industry study there are 10 leading companies of DIY sector analyzed. Data before July 2018 are issued.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
In the field of SEO Key Performance Indicators (KPI), Visibility, Domain Rating, the Number of Featured Snippets, the Number of Top 10 Rankings as well as the Number of
Referrals were presented in detail.
Obi in SEO is a pioneer
Hardware store Obi is the winner in the field of SEO with 96 points in total.
The DIY store surpassed its competitors not only by KPIs, visibility, domain rating and the number of featured snippets, but also by referrals with records of 7.250. At the same time, Hornbach lies at the second position with 90 points and Bauhaus scores the no. 3 with 82 points.
- 602 TSD Top 10 Rankings achieved the DIY store OBI which is an outstanding performance in comparison to its competitors.
- 128 Points of Visibility is the reason why I&M is one of the weakest competitors
Search Engine Advertising (SEA)
In the area of the SEA, the DIY stores are evaluated under their performance on the average Ad Position, Media Ad Spend, Unique Users, Onpage Score and their Paid Visibility.
Bauhaus narrowly advance in SEA
With strong performance of monthly unique users and the greatest achievement of paid visibility Bauhaus is the best DIY store in SEA with 90 points, followed by Hornbach with 84 points as well as Poco with 68 points. Therefore, there are still great potentials for the DIY industry companies in SEA.
- 76,8 TSD EUR Media Ad Spend was invested monthly by Bauhaus
in search engine advertising
- 55.6 total points archieved the hardware stores on average. A score which indicates high potential in SEA.
KPIs in social media of the DIY stores are accessed with the following factors: Number of Channels, Engagement Rate, Interaction Rate and Reach. There are also the number of fans/followers evaluated for each channel.
Hornbach has the best valuesin range, post-engagement and number of channels, which exceed its competitors significantly. The DIY store giant is far ahead in fan number of channels like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Second position belongs to Bauhaus lied 68% behind Hornbach, but it is very active on Instagram recorded over 13,200 followers so far.
- Obi does not only rely on the picture portals, but also interact with target audiences through Pinterest to communicate about its brand, products and other information. I&M has almost no social media activity and thus rows the last one.
- All hardware stores own a YouTube Channel and address the audience with video content.
- 4,44 TSD Twitter Follower has the DIY store giant Hornbach. An outstanding performance in comparison to its competitors.
- 0.43% is the average and thus the highest engagement rate per post of Hornbach in comparison with its competitors. Higher engagement rates are a challenge for many hardware stores.
Facts & Figures
There are more valuable facts and figures from the digital marketing of the DIY industry as follows:
Learnings & Conclusion
Online shops of DIY stores are booming. The sales channel in 2017 grew by 14.9% comparing with in 2016, while that of the entire DIY industry only increased 1.1%. Therefore, both online presence and Digital Marketing are becoming important. Search Engine Optimization / Advertising and Social Media are important approaches to attract visitors to your website.
The Most Important Learnings in the Feld of SEO, SEA and Social Media
Search Engine Optimization(SEO)
- A well-thought-out SEO strategy makes Obi, Hornbach and Bauhaus stay at the top of the category
- Content creation is based on comprehensive keyword searches
- Holistic content of relevant topic, e.g. DIY instructions for garden, makes high search volume for Obi becoming the winner of the category
Search Engine Advertising(SEA)
- The requirements for successful SEA are individually tailored SEA strategy and sufficient budget
- The average media ad spend is € 17.183 per month, and the best performer cost apparently more
- YouTube and Pinterest offer great potential for DIY stores
- Achieving engagement rates on Facebook as high as above 1% is a challenge for all companies
Overall, these three companies are obviously at the top of the comparison: Hornbach, Bauhaus and Obi. All three DIY stores not only attach value to one of the listed channels, but also pursue a strategy in the field of SEO, SEA as well as Social Media to optimize their performance.
I&M clearly turns out to be the loser. However, it must be taken into account that the DIY chain I&M does not widespread and is not as well known as the three winners.
Does your project require a online marketing strategy? Are you curious about an optimal target and selection of media channels? Contact us! Let’s make your web performance successful in a long-term way!
This study was drafted with data from the following tools:
Searchmetrics, SimilarWeb, Ahrefs, Google Keyword Planner, SEMRush, Ryte, Fanpagekarma
Status as of July 2018
All information and data are investigated and edited to the best of our knowledge and conscience. Changes and errors are reserved.